Translate

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Diversity in Literature



Diversity in literature takes on many forms that I didn't realize prior to reading this chapter. Looking at books on exceptionalities and thinking about books that did not portray students in a typical way would greatly enrich students learning. Next semester I will have a blind student in my class therefore I plan to read You Remember the Blue Sky the Questions Kids Ask about Blindness by Sally Anderson. This will help assist the first-graders in acceptance and understanding of the feelings of a blind student. After reading this book it is not appropriate for 1st grade, I will search for another.

Blindness I found it!! This book looks great for my class.

Reading books about different religions is something that I thought was not possible because of the separation of church and state. The textbook presentation was eye opening. Presentation of religion and different religious points of view can be a chance to help students develop critical thinking skills.
I love that the idea of presenting books that explores aging in a positive light. I would like to include one of these books in my literacy project but more importantly I want to include it in my classroom. Living in a community that is elderly I think it would help students learning more about the seniors in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment